Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Katharine Hepburn is my BLE role model



I love biographies, especially of people who knew how to be their person. Recently, while reading a biography of classic film actress Katharine Hepburn, it suddenly dawned on me. This woman is a BLE rock star.

No, she obviously didn’t know of BLE since, of course, it didn’t exist. But a surprising number of things about her life absolutely fit the BLE recommendations. Consider this:

     She always incorporated a lot of vegetables into her meals. According to one of her staffers, she insisted that dinner include three different vegetables, in addition to whatever protein they were having. It would be easy to get up to 14 oz. of veggies when you prioritize them like that.

     She valued sleep over almost anything else. She was known for getting to bed really early. She once said, “I think trying to be fascinating at 8 o'clock at night is my idea of something absolutely hellish.” A minimum of 7-8 hours sleep (9 or 10 if I can manage it) has been critical to my BLE success.

     She minimized decision-making about clothes. Like Steve Jobs, in her later years she had a daily outfit and pretty much stuck to it — khaki pants, a white or black turtleneck, a red sweater and clogs or loafers. Not having to make a decision every day about what to wear meant she experienced less willpower depletion.

There are plenty of others, but I’m guessing that even someone who incorporated just those three habits would be well on their way to living happy, thin and free.

If you're struggling, it might help to think about your BLE role model. Find someone who inspires you and then, in tricky situations, ask yourself, "What would my role model do?"

Disclaimer: This blog and I are not officially affiliated with Bright Line Eating or Susan Peirce Thompson. The opinions expressed here are entirely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment