Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Saying No: How to Implement One of the Most Powerful BLE Tools

The longer that I do Bright Line Eating, the more I realize how critical it is for me to reduce the "overwelm" in my life.

Getting enough sleep, meditating, those are all part of it. So is taking walks in nature and spending time with my family.

Reducing overwhelm helps me maintain peace and balance in my life. The more peace and balance, the less likely I am to feel the stress and exhaustion triggers that lead me to break my bright lines.

But even more than sleep and meditating and walking outdoors, learning to say no has been the biggest help. By far the biggest help.

I'm a huge people pleaser, so it is painful for me to say no. For a long time, I regularly said no without thinking, rather than risk someone not liking me or feeling hurt.

I ended up hurting myself because I was overcommitted, stressed, and resentful.

So I've begun actively teaching myself how to say no.

One of the best resources I've ever found for doing this is an e-Book by Christy Wright called "25 Ways to Protect Your Time."

Christy includes great, practical suggestions for how to turn down social invitations ("What a fun event. I normally would love something like that, but I'm already overcommitted. Thanks for thinking of me.") or volunteer work ("That sounds great. We actually have several organizations we volunteer for already, so we can't add anything new right now. Best of luck though."

(I have no official connection to Christy and don't get anything in return for this. I just love her stuff).

What I love is that her suggestions are clear and unambiguous, but also kind. You don't have to use white lies, but you also don't have to be rude or rejecting.

Disclaimer: This site is not officially affiliated with Bright Line Eating or Susan Peirce Thompson. The opinions expressed here are entirely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment