Sunday, May 27, 2018

How I am surviving a BLE Memorial Day

BLE resume day four completed. Treat to self for 4 clean days: Flavored decaf coffee K-cups



Holidays have been a major stumbling block for me on my Bright Line Eating Journey. So many of them focus on food, food, food.

The struggle to resume BLE has taught me any things, but more than anything it’s taught me that I must enjoy a holiday without eating off my food plan. And that it is perfectly possible to have a great time without eating.

So how am I celebrating one of the most iconic holiday weekends in the U.S. -- a holiday that launches not just summer but also tends to be all about barbecues and picnics?


Keep my commitment to BLE vividly in mind


When I go to a party, it’s super-easy to have thoughts like, “well, it’s a holiday” or “I can just start over tomorrow.” So I make a point of reminding myself before I leave the house — and keep in mind vividly while I am at the event — that I am doing BLE. And why I am doing it. BLE is my top priority.

Make a plan ahead of time


I plan what I am going to eat and how much, as I would do any day. I have plenty of options: I can eat before leaving home. I can call the host and ask exactly what will be served and write down a meal plan. I can bring my scale (few will notice and no one will care). I can bring a big BLE-friendly salad or fruit or veggie tray to share with everyone and measure my meal from that. I know what works for me, I make a plan and I stick to it.


Don’t go in alone


If it was my first Memorial Day, I'd bring a BLE friend with me, if possible. Or maybe just someone who eats healthfully and doesn’t overindulge. I can always bookend the occasion on social media — knowing I've promised to check in after the event is over reminds me to not let my promise go.

Be prepared that some people will not understand


Even my most understanding friends sometimes do things unintentionally that trigger me. They will say “helpful” things like, “Can’t you have just one?” or "You're on a diet, on a holiday?" This doesn’t mean they don’t love me or want me to be happy. It just means they are human. Everyone gets to live their own life their own way, and no one understands everyone else’s life.

Be firm


“No” is a complete sentence. So is “no thank you.” So is "I'm full." Any of these is all I need to say. I don’t need to explain myself.

Plan a treat for afterwards


I have in mind something to reward myself with once I complete the event successfully. I'll read a trashy magazine, pick up some flowers on the way home, have a cup of that special tea I love, take a bath with my favorite bath oil. Knowing there is a reward for keeping my bright lines makes me more likely to keep them.

Be prepared to distract yourself


If the going gets tough, I can always do something. Talk to the stranger who is sitting alone. Help do the dishes or clean up used plates. Take a walk. Play I Spy with the kids. Go to the bathroom and do some breathing exercises.

Have an exit strategy


I always have a plan in place for exiting if needed. I start to feel overwhelmed, I have permission to leave. I’ll arrive separately from my husband so we each have a car. Or I can take an Uber home. I can set an allotted “time to go”, so I know exactly how long I’ll be there. I am not required to stay at an event that is causing me stress.

Plans like these are key in surviving holidays with my bright lines squeaky clean.

[Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Bright Line Eating or Susan Peirce Thompson.]


No comments:

Post a Comment